Support our Sponsors
  • St. Johns Dobbs Ferry ER
  • Duck Derby - Tarrytown Rotary Club and YMCA
  • Crafts at Lyndhurst
Letters-to-the-Editor & Commentary

Keep Neonics From Killing Our Birds

• Bookmarks: 11 • Comments: 1


November 14, 2023

To the editor:

One of the most exceptional aspects of living in the Rivertowns is the abundance of bird species that live in or migrate through the area – from red tailed hawk to heron to a multitude of songbirds. This makes the EPA’s recent assessment on neonic chemicals particularly distressing.  Their assessment on neonics, the most widely used insecticide in U.S. agriculture, found that the use of three neonic chemicals jeopardizes the existence of over 200 species, or 11% of the entire endangered species list.

Neonics are toxic, persistent, and everywhere. They permeate plants, turning their nectar, pollen, and fruit toxic. In fact, one neonic-treated seed has enough active ingredient to kill a songbird. And their contamination doesn’t stop there. When applied to plants, only 2-5% is absorbed, leaving the other 95% to persist in soil for years, where they are carried long distances by rain or irrigation water. Neonics have contaminated water sources throughout New York state at levels that eradicate the invertebrates that birds, fish, amphibians, and wildlife depend upon for food.

Support our Sponsors
  • Donate to The Hudson Independent
  • Sunnyside Federal Savings & Loan - Irvington, NY

With such pervasive contamination, it should be no surprise that New Yorkers themselves are exposed to neonics as well. These neurotoxins target the sensitive areas of the brain and central nervous system and can be passed from mother to fetus.

These deadly chemicals have no place in our soil and water. The Birds and Bees Protection Act (A7640/S1856-A) can limit them significantly, and it has been passed by both the New York State Assembly and Senate. It would ban neonic uses that are replaceable with safer, effective alternatives, eliminating 80%-90% of the neonics entering New York’s environment each year.

Governor Hochul must act now to protect New Yorkers, wildlife, and water sources by signing the Birds and Bees Protection Act.

Susan Bahary

Sleepy Hollow
Read or leave a comment on this story...


Support our Sponsors
  • Newington Cropsey Birds in Art
  • Tranquility Spa - Scarsdale
  • Andrea Martone - Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow real estate agent
  • Piccola Trattoria - Dobbs Ferry Wine and Cheese Night

Earth Day Is Coming—And the Rivertowns are Ready

By Jeff Wilson-- Earth Day itself is on Monday, April 22, but the environmentally committed residents of the rivertowns have...
Read More

New Superintendent of Schools Hired in Ardsley

By Rick Pezzullo--- The Ardsley Board of Education has appointed Dr. Matthew J. Block as the next superintendent of Ardsley...
Read More

Abbott House Names New CEO

The Board of Directors of Abbott House has named Ms. Justine Christakos as incoming CEO and President of Abbott House,...
Read More

New Concord Road School Principal Appointed in Ardsley

By Rick Pezzullo--- The Ardsley Board of Education has appointed Dr. Vidya Bhat as the incoming full-time probationary principal of...
Read More

Irvington High Names Class of 2024 Valedictorian, Salutatorian

By Rick Pezzullo--- Ciara Lyons and Hanna Reich are heads of the Class of 2024 at Irvington High School. Lyons...
Read More

Irvington Girl Scouts Honor Their Past at a Fundraising Luncheon

By Barrett Seaman-- The ongoing centennial celebration of the founding of the Irvington Girl Scouts wound its way on Sunday,...
Read More

Hastings-on-Hudson Resident to Bike 300+ Miles for Fundraiser

by Janine Annett-- Robert Simmonds has deep roots in Hastings. Not only is he a lifelong resident of the village,...
Read More

Writer’s Block…of Clay

WRITER'S BLOCK...OF CLAY: The pleasure, pain and Play-Doh of creating By Krista Madsen– There have been times in my writing life—memorable, magical,...
Read More

Justice Department Charges Regeneron With Pricing Fraud

By Barrett Seaman— The U.S. Department of Justice this week filed a False Claim complaint against Tarrytown-based Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, claiming...
Read More

Sleepy Hollow Jazz Festival April 12 Unites Several School Districts

By Rick Pezzullo--- The Public Schools of the Tarrytowns will be hosting the 2024 Sleepy Hollow Jazz Festival on Friday,...
Read More
11 recommended
1 notes
441 views
bookmark icon