Category

Community

Home » Community

450 posts

Bookmark?Remove?

Sleepy Hollow Fire Leaves 27 Homeless

The bitter chill of a March afternoon on Barnhart Avenue in Sleepy Hollow was pierced by heavy flames and thick smoke on Friday, the 8th, as a rooming house succumbed to a blaze whose cause has yet to be determined. No one died, though one police officer was b... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

KEEPING CHILDREN SAFE AND FAMILIES TOGETHER

by David Schwartz –  To many Rivertowns residents The Children’s Village in Dobbs Ferry is a mystery.  They tend to hear about it only when there are problems.  But the organization, with a 180 acre campus at the top of Walgrove Avenue, has been in the communi... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Camp 2019 Directory

by Barbara Moroch –  School may be out for summer, but camps are definitely in! Summer camp is a place where children and teens can come together to experience new adventures, learn new skills and most importantly, learn more about themselves. Here in the West... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Reverend Gareth C. Evans Installed As Rector Of St. Barnabas

On Sunday, February 24th, the Reverend Gareth C. Evans was installed as the 14th Rector of Irvington’s Church of St. Barnabas, founded in 1857. The institution ceremony was conducted by the Right Reverend Allen K. Shin, Bishop Suffragan of the Episcopal Dioces... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

An Act of Kindness That Reveals Tarrytown’s True Nature

by Joan Raiselis –  When I walked into the kitchen on the last day of the year, my husband Fred was sitting at our big table. The coffee was made. He asked how I was doing. I wasn’t doing well. Late last night, my brother Richard had called to tell me that our... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Annual Autism Classic in Irvington Cherished by Community

by Tom Pedulla –  When the Irvington girls’ basketball team hosts the annual Autism Classic, it attaches a smiling face to the cause. Jeff Dyer, who lacks verbal skills due to autism, is nonetheless as engaged as any fan at the games and is a beloved member of... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Tutors Sought by Literacy Volunteers of the Tarrytowns

by Robert Kimmel –  Many new residents settle in the rivertown villages without a real understanding of English; a disadvantage the Literacy Volunteers of the Tarrytowns (LVT) has been working to solve since 1973. The voluntary organization is now looking for ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Free Tax Prep Available at Mercy College

Mercy College is once again offering a free income tax preparation service to its students, staff and their families at both its Dobbs Ferry and Bronx campuses, as well as to anyone else who meets certain income thresholds and needs help getting their taxes do... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Community Voices Heard Concert Fundraiser at Jazz Forum: January 31

Increased political activism in the lower Hudson Valley has resulted in activists from different communities working together to support a wide range of initiatives.  Community Voices Heard (CVH)’s Jazz and Soul Night, on January 31st at Tarrytown’s Jazz For... More »