Category

Community

Home » Community

390 posts

Bookmark?Remove?

Celebrate Irvington Festival

June 23 Join us at the 5th annual “Celebrate Irvington Festival” from 10:00am – 5:00pm on Main Street in Irvington, NY. Enjoy food, music, art, and lots more! Free admission! https://celebrateirvington.com At 1:00pm (at the Recreation Department’s lawn at 71 M... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

TSO Raises Awareness for Life Saving Organ Transplant Donations

by Robert Kimmel –    Faced with serious health problems, Sleepy Hollow resident Len Andrew’s resolve to undergo kidney transplantation twice led him to successfully overcome those problems. These experiences also inspired him to become an active member of the... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Student Hosts Forum on Gun Violence

by Anna Young –  With mass shootings a recurring incident nationwide, an Irvington High School student hosted a special gathering at the Irvington Town Hall Theater on May 23 to discuss measures that would put an end to the rash of gun violence and mass shooti... More »

photo by Jim Henderson
Bookmark?Remove?

Where We Worship: The Church of St. Barnabas, Irvington

by Barrett Seaman  – The old joke is that Episcopalians have their own Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not eat thine entrée with a salad fork. Once the church of choice for the country’s cultural and political elite, the Episcopal Church, the American branch ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Roles Reverse as an EF Host Family Is Hosted Abroad

by Constance Kehoe –  Flying over the Alps for the fourth time in two weeks, heading home to Irvington from Geneva, the tune from “Both Sides Now” came into my head. Our former EF “daughter” Selma Memic whom my husband Kevin and I hosted in our home two years ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Hudson Independent Forum Examines Current State of Journalism

by Robert Kimmel –  It was clear from the beginning of The Hudson Independent’s Warner Library forum, entitled “Invasion of the Truth Snatchers: American Journalism in an Age of Bubbles, Tweets and Fake News,” that the state of the news business is not good. “... More »

Bethany Arts Community
Bookmark?Remove?

Bethany Arts Community Caters to Artists of All Ages and Disciplines

by W.B. King In the fall of 2015, David Lyons had a vision—a mission—to create an environment where various forms of art could be learned, produced, shared and celebrated. His goal came to fruition in January 2018 when the Bethany Arts Community (BAC) made i... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Westchester Symphonic Winds to Celebrate 30 Years

by Barrett Seaman –  One flautist is a banker; the oboist-cum-French horn player is a veterinarian.  Among the 60-some musicians who make up the Westchester Symphonic Winds (WSW) ensemble are internet sales reps and programmers, doctors and lawyers and a speci... More »