Category

Community

Home » Community

365 posts

Viewfinder

1. Winners of the Sleepy Hollow Recreation Easter Egg Hunt pose with their goodies. 2. The Black Women’s March on April 8, organized by 100Sistas and Black Lives Matter Hudson Valley, drew hundreds of participants to Tarrytown. 3. Tarrytown Mayor Drew Fixell j... More »

Watercooler
Bookmark?Remove?

Heard Around the Watercooler – May 2018

by Maria Ann Roglieri –  Congratulations Sleepy Hollow High School Students Sophia Meyer and Natalie Smith both scored their 100th goal in varsity women’s lacrosse. Hannah Lustik made her 300th save. Meanwhile, performing arts students at SHHS presented an... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Earth Day Activities in Tarrytown a Big Success

by Dean Gallea –  Tarrytown and parts of Sleepy Hollow were beehives of activity on a beautiful, sunny Saturday, April 21st, as residents celebrated Earth Day with 13 events. The day began with a birdwatching outing at the Tarrytown Lakes, led by ornithologi... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Riverkeeper’s “Sweep” Cleanup Campaign Scheduled for May 5.

By Robert Kimmel –  Two thousand volunteers are expected to participate in the 7th Annual Riverkeeper Sweep, Saturday, May 5, cleaning up the shorelines of the Hudson River at more than 100 locations along the river and its tributaries.  The sweep this year in... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Open Door Celebrates Launch in Sleepy Hollow

Local political leaders and health officials were on hand when Open Door Family Medical Center officially celebrated the launch of its new facility in Sleepy Hollow at 300 North Broadway. The 12,500 square foot facility provides primary and preventive medical ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Ellman-Raiselis Passive House Residence in Tarrytown

Several years ago, when her sons went off to college, Tarrytown Planning Board member, architect, and passionate environmentalist, Joan Raiselis, decided that reducing the family’s environmental footprint was her paramount ambition. She and her husband, Fred E... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Letters – Local Consignment

Dear Editor, I am the proprietress of a small business in Tarrytown called Trilogy Consignment. It’s a lovely place that makes me very proud. Owning a consignment shop is not only my vocation, it is a collaborative environmental effort with our ever-growing co... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Tarrytown’s 6-6 Named “Flotilla of the Year” by Coast Guard

by Alexander Roberts –  At a Change of Watch Ceremony in Ossining on March 18, Tarrytown’s Flotilla 6-6 was named “2017 Flotilla of the Year” by the U.S. Coast Guard. The honor singled out Tarrytown’s volunteer Coast Guard Auxiliary from among all of the floti... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

The Hudson Independent Spreads Its Wings

In an editorial three months ago noting our 14th anniversary, we wrote about our ambitions to broaden and deepen our relationship with our readers. We expressed that we wanted “to increase our interaction with the communities we serve.” We promised to make our... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Inquiring Photographer April 2018

by Alexa Brandenberg –  “Do you think anything concrete will come from the recent anti-gun walkouts and rallies?” Richard Cross Tarrytown “I have a lot of faith in youth and they have seen things we have never seen before, so I think they will vote their minds... More »