Category

Community

Home » Community

373 posts

Flea Fun Hits Westchester

The “flea” experience has arrived in Westchester.  The Hastings Flea is a monthly, curated, specialty outdoor flea market at the Hastings-on-Hudson Metro North Train station parking lot (131 Southside Avenue, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY), overlooking the Hudson Riv... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Sleepy Hollow Special Olympians Win Gold

Friday, July 31, 2015 — Team USA New York (Sleepy Hollow/Brewster combined team) just WON the gold medal in Unified Men’s Basketball at the Special Olympics World Summer Games in Los Angeles!!!! The USA New York team went undefeated in their division and beat ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Pets Alive Facility Now Expected to Stay in Westchester

| By Robert Kimmel | Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner is optimistic about keeping the Pets Alive animal shelter in operation locally, either at its present facility in Elmsford or elsewhere. Following a meeting with the board leadership of Pets Alive Thu... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Pets Alive Leaving Elmsford; Land Ownership May Be Challenged

| by Robert Kimmel| With  Pets Alive in Elmsford announcing that it will close its facility in about three months, ownership of the 5 acres of land it has been using could be in dispute.  The no-kill animal shelter disclosed that the cost of maintaining the sh... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Flea Fun Hits Westchester

The “flea” experience has arrived in Westchester.  Hastings Flea is a monthly outdoor market with local vendors from the Hudson Valley selling everything from vintage to antiques, to furniture, jewelry, crafts and more.  Offering live music and entertainment p... More »

Ticked Off! A Small Bug Looms Large in Summer Season

|  by Krista Madsen  | These things are certain: death, taxes…and, here in the Northeast add to this dreadful list: ticks. Judging from the fast and abundant feedback I got when I started asking who’s out there in our midst suffering from Lyme Disease, these t... More »

How Being Part of the SHADE Program Has Shaped My High School Years

|  by Heather Colley  | As a junior midway through the third quarter of my third year in high school, I can reflect on the time I’ve spent in high school in terms of “Before” and “After.”  Before, I had been a part of many community service programs, most of t... More »

Heather’s Work With Pioneer Team

Our practices were beginning to amount to progress, and a lot of it. The team was growing in strength, ability, and recognition. Every time I walked or talked with one of my new friends on the Pioneer Team, one of my friends from my classes in school would int... More »

Fabienne
Bookmark?Remove?

How My Stay in New York City Profoundly Changed Me

By Fabienne Schneuwly – I visited the United States of America for the first time at the age of 16. My trip led me from my home in Switzerland to a place called Menlo Park in California. I traveled on my own and stayed for a month. Everything was huge and exac... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

YMCA Fund Raising Aimed at Changes in Main Street Facility

|  by Robert Kimmel  | Looking to its membership and the community for assistance, the Family YMCA at Tarrytown has embarked on a major money raising campaign to help fund the renovation of its existing Main Street location where work has already begun. The Y ... More »